Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Our Father...

I've been thinking a lot about prayer recently...though, as ever, not implementing the practice nearly as much as I need to. There are all these different forms that prayer can take. I honestly don't know many formal prayers, certainly not as many as I would like to know. I've always tried more for the conversational form of prayer. I've been recently discovering the beauty and honesty of the formal prayers of the Catholic Church, though. I'm not sure how I started thinking about it, I guess it was during a bit of a prayer draught, but I began to wonder about the best way to pray. I don't think there is necessarily a "best way" for something like prayer. God desires our hearts, our openness to Him. So how can I ensure my own openness. Well...I can't. I wish I could and I try to, but I so often fail.

Anyway, back to prayer...

I've begun to contemplate the Our Father. Light Bulb! Jesus taught it to us. Christ himself gave us this prayer. I've always said the Our Father frequently, but I guess I never really thought about the perfectness of it. God knows our hearts far better, more deeply and intimately, then even ourselves. He knows our prayers and desires. I've started praying the Our Father holding this knowledge in my mind, trusting that He'll answer the prayers of my heart, in accordance to His will, as I say these words that once touched Christ's very lips. So now I know when I'm at a loss in my prayer life, I will always have Our Father to support me.

Love and prayers

No comments:

Post a Comment